Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Hey there! If you have any questions about Oasis, this page aims to answer them.
This is Oasis, a rehost of Closedverse made with the goal of providing an improved Staff Team over Closedverse. Additionallty, I am trying to learn programming so I can add more features to make it stand out.
Something's wrong (or I want to ask a question for this)
Well then, no worries, you can instantly make a bug report or a suggestion via the Feedback button in your User Menu (top right corner). Enjoy!
I did something, but it didn't actually do it.
If you perform an action (Yeah a post, edit a post, delete a post, follow/unfollow someone, change profile settings, etc..) but, even after refreshing, it appears that nothing has happened, then something has gone wrong.
This site does not return errors if there is an error (example, if you Yeah your own post on Miiverse, the server tells you that you cannot do that, however this one just tells you that it was successful), so if this happens, then something is wrong.
If you're either confused or sure this isn't a problem on your side, let me know and I'll look into it.
When will Admin elections be set up?
I don't know. I am hoping to get an active userbase before we have our first elections, but overtime, I realize that electing admins is kinda complicated.
Even if admins aren't directly elected, I hope to allow the users have a say in how things work.
Can I delete my account?
No. If you need to delete one by emergency though, contact me.
The reason is kinda simple: it's like a domino effect if I delete your account, if I delete your account, then your profile, posts, comments, messages, friendships, follows, etc. are deleted. Obviously, that should be so, but I don't have a "fake deletion" system like Miiverse does, if it's deleted, then it's GONE forever, bye-bye, see ya.
I might make it a thing in the future though.
I don't like my username, can you give me another one?
I can do that, but there's one catch: if you change your username, all of your content is still there, but the URL to your user page won't be the same.
So, I can do this, but not often. Just let me know what's up and I'll do it.
I'm not getting emails when resetting my password.
Sorry, I don't know what to do when that happens. Of course, you should check your spam folder, since I'm not using my own host and am using PF2M's because his is easier to manage.
Again, contact me/us.
Are there any limits? Post limit, comment limit, friend limit, follow limit..
The only limits here are a posting time limit and a daily post limit. The daily post limit is only given out to spammers. The posting time limit is the same as Miiverse's, its only purpose is to prevent spam. Other than that, there isn't a limit on friends you can have, and there isn't a limit on how many people you can follow.. yet. Keep in mind: limits are not just simply set, they have to actually be implemented. If there can be an amount of something, it probably isn't limited.
How do I set a custom avatar?
To do that, you need a Gravatar account. Gravatar lets sites automatically get an avatar from an e-mail address registered on Gravatar.
So, first, register for Gravatar on their site. Yes, you need a WordPress account, but you might find more sites that use Gravatar.
After you have that set up, your avatar won't instantly update, you have to go into Profile Settings and select (or re-select) your avatar as a Gravatar, then actually that's it.
GIFs don't work. Send a staff member a GIF if you need it as your profile picture. I'm gonna try to remove Gravatars soon.
How do I disable yeah notifs?
Go into your Account Settings in your user menu (the menu icon thing) and do it there. That simple.
Less question-y questions
Ew, why are you using reCAPTCHA?
Sorry, but we have to.
What's with the Splatoon loading animation? It looks stupid.
I thought it was cool enough.
Haha, now where's my Markdown?
Sorry, but I just haven't been able to make it happen. Discord's Markdown is really just fake Markdown, as it has lots more to it: headings, images, links, paragraphs, you get the idea. All of the implementations of Markdown in Python have either all of that or nothing.
There is really Markdown, but it's in Messages, which is why one line break now looks like a space in messages.
Again, sorry. If anyone could find a good enough text formatting implementation that works in Django, let me know.
The color looks ugly.
Your logo looks ugly.
But palm trees are cool :(
Why is it called Oasis?
Yes, that's the name I'm using.
This site was meant to be a place where people could run away from Drama on Closedverse but after realizing that's probably not gonna work I got PF2M to help me make this anyways.
What's your take on the other Miiverse clones?
There are indeed now over 5 Miiverse clones. There are, though, major and minor problems with each of them, which I will list without any bias.
- This was the "first" Miiverse clone, starting in January 2017 by PF2M.
- One of the biggest problems, if not one of the only problems is that it was made with really naive and not so great programming. Additionally, a NSFW Community was added making the site less child friendly.
- The result is that Openverse has become a cumdumpster where people just post Loli Hentai which is ethically wrong on so many levels.
- The only real unique features that Miiverse didn't have are post editing, custom avatars, and drawing.
- Also, it wasn't (meant to be) open-source, which was its original "purpose" from the beginning?
- While Closedverse's code is what I used as a base here, I have some problems with it.
- Arian is, to put it simply, not a good owner. He doesn't really communicate with his userbase, and (did you know Arian asked an 11 year old girls for nudes?) As owner of Oasis I hope to be a more responsive owner.
- PF2M took over after that situation. He's more responsive and friendly, but he's done some stuff I disagree with.
- Did I mention Arian and PF2M can edit this site's code?
- Also, a lot of bad mods
- (Cedar) is a Miiverse clone developed by Seth. It's written in PHP.
- Despite it's inactivity, I suggest you go try it out for yourself. Seth worked hard on it.
- After adding tons of new features, It's really cool.
- I can't really complain about this one since it's not finished. But I have high hopes for it.
What are the advantages of this one?
I'll list what deviates this from the other Miiverse clones.